The Burj Al Arab hotel is one of the most famous landmarks in Dubai. The hotel is situated on its own artificial island, overlooking the turquoise blue waters of the sea. The building’s shape resembles the sail of a ship and stands out even in Dubai’s impressive cityscape. It’s no surprise that Burj Al Arab is one of the most photographed buildings in the world.
Often described as “the world’s only ‘seven-star’ hotel,” Burj Al Arab is exceptional in many ways. It is connected to the mainland by a private bridge road, which ensures guests’ privacy. The hotel has 199 exclusive suites, each allocated to eight dedicated staff members. Six lavish restaurants are available at Burj Al Arab, including the famous Al Mahara (“Oyster”) with a large seawater aquarium. The hotel also has a luxury 10,000 sqm platform with two pools, cabanas and a 1,120 sqm beach area.
Is Burj Al Arab a 7-star hotel?
The Burj Al Arab is officially rated Five-Star Deluxe, the highest official ranking. There is no such rating as “seven stars”. The term appeared when a British journalist visited the hotel on a pre-opening press trip. She wanted to describe the grandiosity of the Burj Al Arab and called it a seven-star hotel. The hotel management claims they have never called that themselves and never used the term in advertising.
Who owns the 7-star hotel in Dubai?
The hotel is owned and managed by the Jumeirah Group, a global luxury hotel company that operates many luxury properties in various countries in the Middle East, Europe and Asia.
How much is a night at Burj Al Arab hotel?
Nightly rates at Burj Al Arab hotel start at AED 4,500 (about $1,225) during the low season but keep in mind that during that time, you’d experience the sweltering summer heat. High season rates can be AED 8,000 (about $2,175). If you want to stay at the most luxurious suite in the hotel – the Royal Suite, the price tag would be much higher – about AED 88,000 (about $24,000) per night. In 2012, CNN listed the Burj Al Arab’s Royal Suite as number 12 among the world’s most expensive hotel suites.
Obviously, staying at the Burj Al Arab is an upscale experience. However, if you’re a hotel buff, consider booking a stay and experiencing this luxurious hotel to the fullest. You can check the current rates and book a room on this website.
Ways to visit Burj Al Arab hotel
Of course, staying at the Burj Al Arab is the best way to experience it fully. However, due to the high price tag, it’s hardly an option for most visitors. But visiting the 7-star hotel in Dubai doesn’t necessarily mean spending the night there. Other available ways that won’t break the bank are listed below. Keep in mind that all the options listed here require a reservation.
- Inside Burj al Arab tour. Introduced in 2021 Inside Burj al Arab tour is a great option to experience the level of service of this 7-star hotel in Dubai. The 90 minutes group tour includes the tour of the lobby, entry to its famous Royal Suite (when it’s not booked), dining or cocktails. You can book the tour on the Jumeirah website or book this combined package on Klook.
- Pool access. A pool pass is another option for visiting the Burj Al Arab. It grants access to the exclusive Burj al Arab Terrace, which features pool, beach and cabana space. You can book your pool pass here.
- Afternoon tea, drinks, lunch or dinner at one of the restaurants. You can also visit six restaurants at Burj al Arab. Afternoon tea and lunch are available at Sahn Eddar. For dinner, you can choose Al Muntaha, Al Iwan or Ristorante L’ Olivo at Al Mahara, which has a large seawater aquarium. Skyview Lounge on the 27th floor is perfect for cocktails with the most fantastic panorama over Dubai.
Best Burj Al Arab photo spots
Burj Al Arab is one of the most photogenic buildings in the world. So, if you want to fill your Instagram feed with great pictures, here are a few suggestions for the best spots to take photos of Burj Al Arab.
- From nearby beaches. One of the best places to take photos of Burj Al Arab is from surrounding beaches. The two most popular options are Sunset Beach (location on Google Maps) and Jumeirah Public Beach (location on Google Maps). Just be careful not to capture other tourists in your photographs, as it is illegal in the UAE to photograph people without their consent or knowledge.
- From Madinat Jumeirah. Madinat Jumeirah is the Emirate’s largest resort, which looks like a traditional Arabian town. So you can have an excellent opportunity to take a picture of Burj Al Arab with Arab Architecture and palm trees.
- From the sky or the sea. If you’re looking for more interesting pictures, you can book a helicopter flight and get a bird’s eye view of the hotel. If you want to take a photo from the sea, you can book a boat tour here.
- From Palm Jumeirah. The palm tree-shaped Palm Jumeirah island is another iconic landmark of Dubai, which also has a view of the Burj Al Arab.
World’s most famous’ helipad
Suspended over 200 meters above the ground is Burj Al Arab’s helipad, which is often called the “most famous helipad in the world.” The 24-meter wide helipad is primarily used as a part of the hotel’s concierge service – Burj Al Arab offers a Rolls Royce or helicopter to pick up guests from the airport.
However, the helipad is better known as a location for various events and stunts. In 2005 the helipad was converted into the highest tennis court in the world, where Roger Federer and Andre Agassi played an exhibition match. Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy hit a golf ball there. In 2014, F1 driver David Coulthard spun “doughnuts” on the Burj Al Arab’s helipad. After a couple of years, a ring was constructed, and Anthony Joshua held a sparring session up there. BMX biker Kriss Kyle jumped off a helicopter onto the helipad in 2019. And recently, the Burj Al Arab hosted its first-ever art exhibition on its helipad.
Interesting facts about Burj Al Arab
- Until 2017 Burj Al Arab was the tallest hotel in the world (not including mixed-use buildings). At the moment, it’s the fourth tallest hotel in the world. Interestingly, all three taller hotels are located in Dubai (Rose Tower, JW Marriott Marquis Hotel, and Gevora Hotel).
- In 2008 Burj Al Arab set a Guinness World Record for the most expensive cocktail, which Australian Joel Heffernan later surpassed.
- The Burj Al Arab has a turtle hospital. Since its opening in 2014, the hospital has saved more than 1,600 sea turtles.
- The hotel’s guests can choose from 17 different kinds of pillows.
- The Burj Al Arab’s interiors are gilded in 24-karat gold.
- Translated to English, Burj Al Arab means “Tower of Arabs.”